[Sca-cooks] how to make bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 13 04:48:05 PDT 2006

If you check the Florilegium ( www.florilegium.org ), you'll find most of
the period bread recipes available plus other information on bread, field
cookery, etc.  In the field, preparation time is an issue.  For a true
medieval bread, you might consider the manchet recipe with it's short rise
time and some of the Arab breads that Cariadoc has experimented with.

Over the years, I've used several different types of field ovens and I
prefer Dutch ovens for field baking.  I haven't experimented with brick heat
mass ovens, but they aren't real portable.  The Coleman oven should be
adequate, but it may not be economical, as they tend to lose heat.  Each
oven has its own characteristics that can only be learned by experience.

Bear