[Sca-cooks] how to make bread

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 13 07:14:50 PDT 2006

> Over the years, I've used several different types of field ovens and
> I prefer Dutch ovens for field baking.  I haven't experimented with
> brick heat mass ovens, but they aren't real portable.  The Coleman
> oven should be adequate, but it may not be economical, as they tend
> to lose heat.  Each oven has its own characteristics that can only
> be learned by experience.
>
> Bear

Think about the Coleman ovens is that they're so thin-walled, that they'll
lose heat easily. You need to keep them out of the wind. On colder days, it
helps to layer them with tin foil, to help trap the heat a bit more, but in
really cold weather, they're worthless- won't get to and maintain a cooking
heat.

Phlip