[Sca-cooks] salad of fennel and seville oranges?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 13 08:12:52 PDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 13. April 2006 13:44 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:

> > Giano
>
> Your skepticism is ugly. Tiramisu also goes back to the Roman
> Legions. Or maybe it was the Knights of Columbus Recreation Center...
> I forget.
>
> Does anyone have within easy reach any info on the anise/bulb variety
> of fennel? Seems to me that medieval varieties may have been non-
> fleshy, of the sort that the French use today in dried form as a
> seasoning herb for fish dishes...

Liber de coquina uses fennel (f(o)eniculum) as a vegetable, so I'd say fleshy
fennel exists by then (probably not quite as flesh as our bulbs, but fleshy
nonetheless). That gives us very early 14th c, with probable antecedents in
the 13th (the book dates to 1310 and is believed to be a translation of an
earlier text).

Giano