[Sca-cooks] salad of fennel and seville oranges?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Apr 13 11:33:23 PDT 2006

> Liber de coquina uses fennel (f(o)eniculum) as a vegetable, so I'd say fleshy
> fennel exists by then (probably not quite as flesh as our bulbs, but fleshy
> nonetheless). That gives us very early 14th c, with probable antecedents in
> the 13th (the book dates to 1310 and is believed to be a translation of an
> earlier text).

Forme of Cury refers to 'blades' of fennel:

"Fenkel In Soppes. XX.III. XVII. Take blades of Fenkel. shrede hem not
to smale, do hem to seeþ in water and oile and oynouns mynced þerwith.
do þerto safroun and salt and powdour douce, serue it forth, take brede
ytosted and lay the sewe onoward."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman