[Sca-cooks] salad of fennel and seville oranges?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 13 15:51:34 PDT 2006

Both the Greeks and the Romans used fennel for seed and vegetable.  The
fleshy, bulbous base probably wasn't present.  This is very likely to be the
wild form of the plant known as "bitter fennel."  References in Atheneaus,
Columella, Plautus, and Apicius.

Sweet fennel first appears in Charlemagne's order as to what to grow in his
gardens.  It is probably a cultivated variety of the wild fennel,
specifically grown for its better flavor when young.

Florence fennel, the bulbous fennel in supermarkets, has a reference or two
that place it not earlier than the 17th Century.

Bear