[Sca-cooks] salad of fennel and seville oranges?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 19:50:18 PDT 2006

According to the Penguin Companion to Food, p. 667, "During the first centuries
of the Christian era the orange began to spread beyond China, as the citron had
done earlier.  It reached Japan well before the earliest surviving Japanese
literature was written (the 8th Century), but it has always be less important there
than fruits of the mandarin type.  It also reached India in early times; a medical
treatise of about A.D. 100, the Charaka Samhita, mentions it for the first time by
what was to become its modern name, 'naranga'. This word is said to be derived from
an older Sanskrit term 'narunga'(fruit like elephants).  'Naranga' became 'naranj'
in Persian and Arabic, 'narantsion' in late Classical Greek, and 'aurantium'
(influenced by 'aurum'(gold)) in Late Latin, from which it is only a short step to
the Italian 'arancia' and French and English 'orange'.

"However, the various questions which attend the etymology and the westward movement
of the orange are complicated by the fact that it was the sour orange which first
travelled westwards, with the sweet orange only following about 500 years later.
The sour orange was apparently being grown in Sicily at the beginning of the 11th
century and around Seville in Spain at the end of the 12th century, no doubt because
the Arabs had introduced the fruit in these places.  The sweet orange turns up in the
Mediterranean area in the latter part of the 15th century.  However, it is not always
easy to know, from the common names then in use, which sort of orange was meant.

"The earliest surviving description of the bitter orange in Europe was by the 13th
century writer Albertus Magnus, who called it 'arangus'.  (Another name was 'bigarade',
derived from Arabic.  Bitter orange juice was used as a flavouring.)

"The first mention of the sweet orange in Europe is sometimes said to be that in the
archives of the Italian city of Savona, in 1471.  Probably the seeds had come through
the Genoese trade route, which had extensive connections with the Near East.  However,
Platina (1475 but having prepared his work in manuscript in the preceding decade)
provides a better starting point.  He says that sweet oranges "are almost always
suitable for the stomach as a first course and the tart ones may be sweetened with
sugar", which shows clearly that he knew both kinds.

"Shortly after the Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama returned from India after his
discovery of the sea route around the Cape of Good Hope, in 1498, the Portuguese began
to grow a superior kind of sweet orange which was said to be a direct import from 'China'
-- a vague designation which however came to be adopted as meaning the sweet orange.
Thus 'China' oranges which were an expensive delicacy in Britain from the late 16th
century on were in fact from Portugal.  And this Portuguese orange spread through
Southern Europe.  The modern Greek for orange is still 'portokali'."

Huette