[Sca-cooks] salad of fennel and seville oranges?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 14 13:38:04 PDT 2006

Snarky is fine.  It admits to its nonsense, "for the snark was a boojum, you
see."  I will accept the caveat of there being no linguistic certainty.  But
with Classic Latin, being "dead" and "fixed" and one of the most widely
studied languages around, it's difficult to see how one would miss "orange."

The orange fruit is interesting enough that it should have been described in
the Roman writings we have.  It isn't, so the odds are oranges hadn't
reached the Mediterranean by the 1st Century.  Platina writing in the 15th
Century used "citron" as the Latin equivalent of the orange in Master
Martino's recipes, which again suggests that there was no word for orange in
Classic Latin.  I'm certain Pliny would have pontificated on the different
types of citron if the word was being used generally for a variety of citrus
fruit.

Late Latin uses the word "aurantium" to describe the orange.  Late Latin
roughly covers the 3rd to 7th Centuries, encompassing the rise of Byzantium
and the Eastern Empire and the furthest extent of Roman trade (definitely
into India and possibly into SE Asia).  Where and how the word came into use
is indeterminable at present.  Due to the war and trade between the Romans
and the Persians during this period, it is very likely that oranges were
introduced into Byzantium from Persia, but were not readily available
anywhere else in the Empire.

If one considers the timing, it is highly unlikely that oranges entered
general cultivation during the height of the Roman Empire.  Citrons were
brought to the Mediterranean in the late 4th Century BCE by Alexander's
armies.  It is believed the orange was introduced into Persia by a Chinese
embassy seeking allies against the Huns in the mid 2nd Century BCE.  The
first reference to the "naranga" is from India in the 1st Century.  Roman
advance into the region begins in the 2nd Century just as the Empire starts
going to hell in a handbasket.  Between the decline in trade, the internal
political problems and the military set backs, it is unlikely that many new
plants made their way into the Mediterranean basin.

The evidence for oranges being in the Mediterranean basin  during the height
of the Roman Empire is sketchy, debatable, and anomalous.  It's not as good
as the Tudor banana.  As for NYX, I'm kinda curious as to how many orange
seeds have turned up in Roman middens or latrines.  AFAIK, none.  While
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, in this case it is a pretty
good indicator.  Even if you turn up an orange tree in the right place and
right time, it is an anomaly until the tree can be tied to a wider culture
of orange cultivation.

I think I better end this disjointed pedantic ramble or I'll have to write a
paper.

Bear