[Sca-cooks] provencal Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 14 10:39:38 PDT 2006

I've got plenty of *modern* Provencal recipes, since i lived there in
'73, including
-- what was apparently considered *the* book on the cuisine at the
time - "La veritable cuisine provencal et nicoise" by Jean-Noel
Escudier - many of the recipes are written in paragraphs in a
conversational way and don't always include exact quantities;
-- the cookbook from what was a 4 star restaurant in Les Baux in
Provence (near a castle that housed Cathars and trouveres, and which
was destroyed in teh 13th c.) when i was there with my parents in '62
(i don't know its current star status) - "Les recettes de Baumaniere"
by Raymond Thuilier;
-- and most of Paula Wolfert's cookbooks, some of which cover Provence;
-- and i've got more...

One of my favorite dishes when i lived there was chicken with lemons
and green olives (funny how that's close to one of my favorite
Moroccan dishes)

Barbara Santich in "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" includes two
recipes from a Meridionale cookbook (that's southern France, not
necessarily Provence, but doubtless close). They are for stuffed
fresh sardines (quite different from the canned version) and for
blancmange.There are apparently two versions of the original:
Anonimo Meridionale/Libro A
and
Anonimo Meridionale/Libro B
  I don't recall seeing them - or maybe they're on Thomas Gloning's
site - but it's in Langue d'Oc, which is unlike Medieval French
(feels like a combo of French, Catalan, and Italian), and i can't
read it well yet.

So, do you want Santich's two recipes, or do you want modern Provencal recipes?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita