[Sca-cooks] Re: provencal Recipes

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 12:18:59 PDT 2006

  Urtatim wrote:
Barbara Santich in "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" includes two
recipes from a Meridionale cookbook (that's southern France, not
necessarily Provence, but doubtless close). They are for stuffed
fresh sardines (quite different from the canned version) and for
blancmange.There are apparently two versions of the original:
Anonimo Meridionale/Libro A
and
Anonimo Meridionale/Libro B
I don't recall seeing them - or maybe they're on Thomas Gloning's
site - but it's in Langue d'Oc, which is unlike Medieval French
(feels like a combo of French, Catalan, and Italian), and i can't
read it well yet.

OK I have both of them at home.  To me they read like an Italian dialect and I have always taken them to be southern Italian in origin.  That is generally how they are identified in the Italian culinary sources.  I know from the times I have browsed them that the recipes are very similar to those in the martino corpus.  But then again when you look across europe there were very many dishes in common across the royal cultures.  Blancmange, losyns, white tart, to name just a few. I'll have a look at them again tonight and see how it pans out.
  The one thing that I would say about the food in the warmer climes is that you find a lot more salads and raw fruit turning up in the menus.
  I once did a lunch for the laurel meeting at Pennsic with Mistress Rachaol based on a menu from August from Scappi.  It was based on the first and last courses, everything was served cold, from the ham, to the pies, to the salads and fruit.  Serving the number of people you need to serve should certainly be doable.
  Helewyse