[Sca-cooks] Imperium Compound - first results

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 14 13:01:09 PDT 2006

Bear wrote:

> If anyone can locate Ioesph of Locksley, you might ask him for the
> recipe. IIRC, he is both the author of the song and one of the
> originators of the drink.  Been a long fuzzy time since I thought of
> that.  I'm still trying to find the words to "The Gentry."

"The Gentry are sleeping one by one"?  Here it is, but uncredited.
http://www.housebarra.com/bard/#50

I've heard from Duke Siegfried von Höflichkeit, who wrote:

    As I'm sure you know, Imperium Compound started as a Dark Horde
    song, a filksong on Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compound.  In fact
    when I asked Yang about it back in approximately AS X he told me
    there really wasn't an actual drink of that name and invited me to
    invent one -- so I did.  Or rather I adapted a recipe for Whiskey
    Sours, as I wanted something that would be "tasty" to pretty near
    anybody.  I believe Maureen (Dierdrianna) got the recipe from me
    somewhere around AS  XIII.

    Here is the recipe as I wrote it down, somewhere around  XV:

    Mix just under 1/2 cup of sugar and an equal amount of warm water to
    form a syrup.

    Combine with 1-2/3 cups of bourbon; 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
    (RealLemon works fine if it is newly opened).

    Heat to just under a simmer (don't let it boil or you'll bake off
    the alcohol), cool slightly, decant to bottles.  This will store for
    2-3 months.

    Serve chilled (you may put ice in it; it's a little overpowering
    even cold without a bit of diluting).

    I have no idea if there were other IC recipes circulating, but this
    is what we knew as IC.

OK, this is Selene again.  None of the preceding necessarily means that
Locksley didn't have his own version, after all... Keep scouring those
old notes guys.  Bwahaha.

Selene Colfox