The Color Purple, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Imperium Compound

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 01:26:50 PDT 2006

--- Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 4/14/06 8:00 PM, "Huette von Ahrens" <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am not such a prima donna who expects my ladies to wear something they
> > don't care for and won't wear again.  Something I have seen in the
> > multitudinous
> > weddings I have ever attended and have always vowed never to inflict on my
> > friends.
> > Should I ever become Queen however, that would be an entirely different
> > matter...
>
> All of a sudden, I feel a chill down my spine.  On the other hand, I look OK
> in cool colors like purple.  Please don't develop a liking for
> mustard-yellow, however.

Yeck!  Not likely!

> What I'm planning to work-up for your wedding is proper cook's wear for an
> upper class house of the time period.  Gee, that means I need to watch
> "Gosford Park" and "My Fair Lady" again.  Poor me.
>
> Selene

"My Fair Lady" is okay.  The costumes, IMHO, are much too Hollywood.  "Gosford Park"
and "Remains of the Day" are during the 1930's, while I am going for 1910-14, pre-WWI.
Better would be "A Room with a View" or "Howard's End".  There are a lot of Masterpiece
Theater/BBC productions using that era as the backdrop.  Like "Upstairs/Downstairs".
Or "The Duchess of Duke Street". Or "The Forsyte Saga". Or the recent "The Lost Prince".

Huette