[Sca-cooks] Beef Bafflement article

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 15 05:31:47 PDT 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 8:11 AM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_bi_ge/baffled_by_beef
>
> Any comments?

I know I've been seeing little stickers on meat packaging [sometimes]
for years now, advising the buyer to broil, saute, or braise, based
on the primary cut. It always seemed like a good idea to me as a sort
of minimalist measure of education for the clueless: you have to
figure that after seeing enough labels that say something like, "beef
chuck: pot roast or stew", the buyer will eventually know this stuff
to some extent. Maybe they won't be able to identify or locate the
one little muscle in the chuck from which chicken steaks are cut,
that doesn't need moist heat (random example; whatever), but they
will have a fair sense that they shouldn't broil a slice from the
shank or boil a porterhouse steak for three hours.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04