[Sca-cooks] Beef Bafflement article

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 15 08:49:22 PDT 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 9:10 AM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>> On Apr 15, 2006, at 8:11 AM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:
>> Maybe they won't be able
>> to identify or locate the  one little muscle in the chuck from which
>> chicken steaks are cut,  that doesn't need moist heat (random
>> example; whatever), but they  will have a fair sense that they
>> shouldn't broil a slice from the  shank or boil a porterhouse steak
>> for three hours.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> I remember years ago, I had some friends who had been pretty broke
> most of
> their lives, and I thought, as a special treat, I'd buy us all a
> full sized,
> prime sirloin steak (my favorite cut) for dinner.

Now, just out of curiosity, when you say sirloin, do you mean the
actual sirloin/hip structure (not my fave), or do you mean the strip
loin (the part on the other side of the bone from the tenderloin on a
porterhouse or T-bone steak), which is often known as a NY Strip, NY
Sirloin, or a just plain sirloin steak, even though it ain't sirloin
(but still the food of the gods)?

I'm still looking for the definitive answer on the whole "NY Cut"
thing, and the closest I can come is to note that a short-loin T-bone
or porterhouse steak, laid flat with the tenderloin on the bottom and
the cut chine bone on the right side, looks pretty much like a map of
NY State...

> Ran an errand, and when I got back, discovered that she'd (shudder)
> put it in
> the pressure cooker "to tenderize it".

My hostess for the Seder the other night had hired a couple of inner-
city college kids to help serve and wash dishes, usually the same
ones a few times a year for various functions, and as it usually
falls to me to go in and slice salmon and lamb and such, I often find
myself chatting pleasantly with them of this and that. Among other
things, this time we got onto the subject of suitable penalties for
exactly the type of behavior you describe (I forget the actual
offense, but it must have been something pretty terrible). I was
thinking in terms of doing something with a lead pipe, and they were
favoring the baseball-bat-with barbed wire approach. I think we
settled on a wooden baseball bat wrapped in black cloth friction
tape, _then_ wrapped in barbed wire (the tape will help keep the wire
from slipping). They also liked the old standby of the baseball bat
driven full of nails, but I felt that it might get stuck in bone, so
we settled on the barbed wire thing.

> Of course, that was the same lady, who, when I thought I'd put some
> water
> chestnuts in the spaghetti sauce, as an experiment, was trying the
> tease me
> about putting "peanuts" in my spaghetti sauce. Nice people, but rather
> clueless about food...

Nutz is nutz...

Adamantius

eat cake!"