[Sca-cooks] Sausage Making

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 15 17:10:21 PDT 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 7:28 PM, Fairy Tale Designs wrote:

>   Now I have another question.  Has anyone here made sausages and
> if so, did you find the task to be difficult?

Not very, but more than 5 pounds or so is best done by more than one
person, especially if you're using a hand-cranked grinder or stuffing
machine. Dealing with long chains of filled sausage can get difficult
when the numbers go up, and you start to need at least three hands at
times.

> I am looking into buying a meat grinder/sausage combo for next to
> nothing.   I remember someone saying that the casings can be
> difficult to find, but I have found an on-line source that ships
> them in brine and vaccumed sealed.
>
>   I have found numerous recipes for the spices and techniques, but
> any suggestions on accompiments would be good to.

Sauerkraut, compost (and its assorted relatives), and Rumpolt's beet
with horseradish relish are all good accompaniments. Good mustard, of
course, and maybe one of Platina's roasted vegetable salads (onion,
or carrot, etc.) would also be good.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782