[Sca-cooks] OOP?: When did ham become associated with pineapple?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 17 04:17:43 PDT 2006

The association of baked ham and pineapple probably got started after the
pineapple arrived in Hawaii and became part of the luau.

Just how and when the pineapple got to Hawaii is an open question; a Spanish
wreck around 1527 (unlikely), Captain Cook (possible), the Spanish advisor
to the Hawaiian King (1813), etc., etc., etc.  John Kidwell (IIRC) founded
the first pineapple plantation in 1880 and the first recorded export of
pineapples to the mainland was in 1895.

I suspect (but have not been able to verify) that the recipe for ham with
pineapple appeared in a Dole cookbook in 1925. According to one source, the
first published recipe for pineapple upside-down cake appears in this
cookbook, but it was only one of 2,500 pineapple upside-down cake recipes
submitted.

Bear