[Sca-cooks] Re: Sausage Making

Sandra Jakl kieralady2 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 12:26:45 PDT 2006

I'm late to the party as usual but, I will chip in my
cautionary two cents as I've been a sausage making
fiend for the last year.

I'm behind several digests, so I apologize if I'm
repeating information.

IMO, Don't bother with the Kitchen Aid sausage stuffer
attachent, if you were thinking about that route. I
can stuff as fast, and much more ergonically correct,
just using my trusty ceramic funnel.

My first few sausages I had issues with the salt, so
bewarrrre the amount of salt one puts into these
things. I really recommend mixing in your seasoning,
frying a small bit up in the pan to taste, then
adjusting the seasoning.

hmmm...

Well, back to work,

Clara von Ulm

~~~
  Has anyone here made sausages and if
so, did you find the task to be difficult? I am
looking into buying a
meat grinder/sausage combo for next to nothing.   I
remember someone
saying that the casings can be difficult to find, but
I have found an
on-line source that ships them in brine and vaccumed
sealed.

  I have found numerous recipes for the spices and
techniques, but any
suggestions on accompiments would be good to.

  -Muiriath