[Sca-cooks] OOP - Speaking of Coca Cola

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 13:08:16 PDT 2006

I confess i fail to see the thrill of Vernor's Ginger Ale.

I grew up in the Chicago area, low these many decades. I didn't like
Coca Cola, although i don't mind in nowadays in the right situations.

My preferred soda pops as a child were 7Up, Canada Dry Ginger Ale
(the only one i knew about in the 50s), and Squirt.

When i was 12 i went to Europe with my parents. In England i got to
drink ginger ale and ginger beer, and after that i was no longer
interested in drinking Canada dry...

My dad began buying Vernor's which had a little more flavor than
Canada Dry, but it just wasn't like the *real* thing.

While i was in boarding school in the mid-60s, i was won over by Dr.
Pepper, which was only available in Texas (and maybe some neighboring
state). I was friends with a girl there whose father was an airline
pilot, and he'd bring back cases of the stuff when he flew to Texas.
When i move to New York City in 1967, i would often go to a tiny
hole-in-the-wall called The Texas Chili Parlor, that had barely more
than a dozen seats, and was primarily a gay man's hang-out, since it
was the only place in town to get Dr. Pepper.

Around the same time i found Cock'n'Bull ginger ale, which had
*quite* a bit more kick than Vernor's.

Nowadays my preferred carbonated ginger ale is Reed's.

However, Prince Neville's Jamaican Ginger Beer (not carbonated) will
really knock one flat - more punch than Cassius Clay, George Foreman,
and Micheal Tyson rolled into one. The Prince's drink is fresh, sold
in the cold case where the fresh juices are in my local Whole
Paycheck, err, Foods. It's a San Francisco treat, so i don't know how
far out of the Bay Area it is available. Fabulous stuff. If you like
ginger and you ever see it, you owe it to yourself to try it.

Currently i'm hopped up on my own Ginger Syrup which i've been mixing
with my Andalusian Lemon Syrup which i made for a dayboard - the
first ever, to my knowledge, in this area - for the Mists/Cynagua
War. I did it with a Cynaguan, the fabulous cook Anna Sera. It was by
donation. After we made back out expenses, we donated all the rest of
the money to our Waterbearers Guild
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita