[Sca-cooks] renting convection ovens?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 17 18:04:40 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>You can *rent* a convection oven? How big is such a thing...

As i said, it held four half-sheet pans... exactly. A sheet pan is a
standard commercial cooking pan - it's rectangular and flat with low
raised edges. A half-sheet pan is, well, half the size of a sheet
pan. Adamantius probably know the exact size. A sheet pan will not
fit into a standard home oven, but a half sheet pan will.

I'd guess that the monster was not quite as big as a home oven,
divorced from the rest of the stove. It was awkward to carry (i
couldn't cuz i'm small and my arms couldn't go around it), but it
wasn't horribly heavy.

>...and how do you transport it?

It would probably fit into the trunk of a 1950s to early 1970s
American car, but would not fit into the trunk of a Japanese or
Korean compact car. I used to have a mid-sized station wagon and it
fit fine in the cargo space in the back, but a compact station wagon
would probably have to have the back seat folded down. I now own a
"mini-van" so there was plenty of room for the oven, four large
rectangular chafing dishes, all the food, all the serving dishes,
various utensils, four half sheet pans, a cutting board, some other
stuff, and a case of Martinelli's (carbonated apple juice in what
look like wine bottles - a nice festive non-alcoholic substitute for
champagne) (all without taking the seats out, since i have no garage
in which to put them), plus my consort as an assistant in the front
seat.

>Or does the rental place deliver it to the site?

Not the place i contacted. But i suppose a place that rents tables
and chairs and outdoor tents and all the tableware might have.

>I assume these are strictly electric

Is there any other kind of convection oven? I don't know... Were you
hoping for propane?

>and plug into standard 110V AC wall plugs?

Sure, as long as it's a grounded outlet.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita