Coffee, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cola with sugar...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 09:27:25 PDT 2006

Elizabeta of Rundel wrote:

>I have an even greater heresay... the few times I have tried coffee, and I
>LOVE the aroma of coffee, it has either made me ill or caused my blood sugar
>to go haywire and plummet.  This even includes the flavored coffees.  Due to
>this, I will never attempt to drink coffee again, although I do love to be
>around it and smell it.

You've got to remember that the "flavored coffees" are just
lower-quality beans disguised with pleasing flavorings to sell at
inflated prices.
Coffee, by itself, unsweetened, hasn't got much to affect the blood
sugar.  Possibly the caffeine is affecting you in a manner that feels
the same -- a high, then a low.  [I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on
TV, maybe coffee does affect the pancreas after all but I don't know
about that.]   Like anything else, if you don't like the way it makes
you feel, don't imbibe it.

The proponants of aromatherapy purport that the mere smell of coffee has
an enlivening effect.  Maybe this is connected with our associations of
the effects of caffeine, but hey, it works for me.

I should break out my Turkish Coffee gear and make the Brew That Is True
in a more historical manner, I'm thinking.  The trick is finding the
"ibriks" [long handled coffee pots] that don't look too modern.  Getting
tricky these days.  I'd also like some advice about tabletop heating, a
little charcoal burner maybe?

Selene