[Sca-cooks] An embarrassment of riches...

Philip Edward Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:19:24 PDT 2006

"marilyn traber 011221" <phlip at 99main.com> writes:
>As I mentioned, I acquired a few laying hens, and they're LAYING. Not only
[...]
>SO... I need egg recipes. Period, modern, it doesn't matter. The only

Some of our family recipes which are egg-ceptional ;)
(copied as i've placed them on the web, I'm sure
 most of you guys know what tempering is. ;)

These are traditional, not "period".

Grandma Lewis's Bread Pudding
Scale as necessary, usually by 6
1 egg
1 cup milk (We used whole)
1/6 cup sugar
2/3 - 1 piece bread
tsp vanilla (that that's for 6 eggs, just go by taste)
pinch salt
nutmeg to taste.

Mix liquid ingredients and spice.
Add bread. Make sure it's well soaked in.
Put in buttered baking pan (we used 9x13, but in general it should be no more than 2 inches thick)
bake @350 Deg F for one hour.
Once it's baked, you should get a moist custard, a slightly crusty top, and this wonderful clear liquor. Make sure each serving gets some of everything.
Delicious hot or cold...

I've been making it in the microwave, 2 eggs at a time and using
reconstituted non-fat milk, and 6 packs splenda replacing the sugar.
Nuke for 3-4 minutes on high, then 7-8 mins at 30-40% power.

This eggnog is nothing like the store bought stuff.
It's been dubbed "Happy-Nog" by People that "didn't like eggnog"
because they'd only had the store bought stuff.
Grandma Lewis's Egg Nog
Have ready:
2 gallons whole milk
1 quart half & half
1 dozen eggs (seperated)
3 to 4 cups sugar
1 fifth whiskey (cheap) (4 roses is good)

Put 2 gallons milk and 1 quart half & half in a large pot.

Heat over medium heat until hot, but not quite boiling.

Seperate dozen eggs.

Beat dozen yolks thoroughly with 3 cups of sugar.

Go open some presents.

When milk is just about (but not quite) boiling, stir some hot milk
into the egg yolk & sugar mixture. (this is called tempering the
eggs...the idea is to bring the temperature up slowly, so that you
don't hard cook the eggs)

Add this mixture to the milk.

Add 1 fifth (or more to taste) of cheap whiskey.

Beat the egg whites until very stiff. (hard peaks)

Spoon some hot milk mixture into the egg whites, then add them to the
pot. (same deal as the yolks)

Add more sugar to taste (grandma uses about 4 cups total).

Sprinkle nutmeg on top. (Try to keep the hairs to a minimum.)

That's it. ok some details:

We usually use Four roses whisky.... thought just about any will
do. (non united-statesians please note, i mean bourbon, or
canadian... perhaps irish... not scotch whisky....or rye. i shudder at
the thought of a "peaty" eggnog... ;)

It's good hot or cold.... we usually let it cool down on the back
porch) you shouldn't put a large vat of hot liquid directly in the
fridge.

I think we use extra large eggs... the size of the egg will only
affect the thick/rich-ness some....
May no harm befall you,
flip