[Sca-cooks] An embarrassment of riches...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 10:16:07 PDT 2006

marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>As I mentioned, I acquired a few laying hens, and they're LAYING. Not only
>that, but Rob, not thinking, went and bought another flat of eggs (containing
>about 5 dozen. Since the laying hens are providing better than half a dozen
>eggs per day, and I expect that number to increase as they get better settled
>into their new home, we have eggs, eggs, and more eggs.
>
>SO... I need egg recipes. Period, modern, it doesn't matter. The only
>ingredients I want to avoid are mushrooms and bell peppers (serious allergy,
>and passionate dislike). I'm making a couple dozen deviled eggs at the
>moment, but any more suggestions will be gratefully appreciated ;-)

Separate and freeze the whites and yolks in useful quantities, like
threes or dozens.

Variation on Devilled Eggs by Baroness Morgaine FitzStephen:  Witchelled
Eggs, because she does not believe in devils.  Standard boil, halve,
mush up the yolks with mayo but the flavoring is curry powder. I add
finely chopped fried onions.  I made 3 doz. of these last Saturday for a
mixed SCA/non-SCA birthday party and they were all snarfed up.

My simple green pye:  standard pie shell, a handfull of "spring greens",
a combination of 3 eggs beaten with 2 cups of milk.  Other additions
include:  fresh chopped herbs, alliums as you like, bite-sized leftover
animal protein of almost any sort from shrimps to ham.  Aeddie dumps in
a whole lot of grilled steak bits for Manly Quiche.

That's all I can do right now at work without looking anything up, maybe
more later.
Selene