Coffee, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cola with sugar...

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Apr 18 10:14:50 PDT 2006

>I'm not sure what constitutes "don't look too modern", but you might want
>to check out this page:
>
>http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.ibrik.shtml

last I checked Francisco Sirene, Spicer has them slightly cheaper.
  http://www.silk.net/sirene/potation.htm

also this place is cheap, but these are thoroughly modern looking
  http://tinyurl.com/r5dlx

As for heat, hou actually want a few more BTUs than most Spirit lamps... You have to rather quickly get it to a light boil, somewhat before the entire thermal mass passes 195 degrees, that takes some intensity. and do it three times, traditionally.

If you want to go period, a small metal brazier that allows for
draft through the coals (chimney effect) works wonders.

the traditional tool is a "mangal" (sp?) and is effectively a copper pot in which you lay coals.
It has a conical pierced lid to keep sparks from spreading when you are not actually cooking on it.

Jaji just uses a bottle propane protable stove.
I have no complaints with his coffee.
(I often hang about and "clean" his return cups, by wiping out
and eating the "coffee sludge" from the bottom of the cups...
mmmmmm

I guess you could say that I am somewhat of a "hardcore" coffee
fanatic)

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue