[Sca-cooks] An embarrassment of riches...

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Apr 18 11:38:56 PDT 2006

when I was a kid on the farm we would use up eggs by making custards, sweet and savory. I learned how
to make them in the microwave by the time I was 8 :). scrambles, omelets, casseroles. hash and eggs
(mom would layer it in a casserole dish, and put the eggs in hollows). hard boiled eggs, egg salad,
deviled eggs of many sorts.

that and milk. ooo, I grew up on rice pudding with dried fruit and milk fed pork. mmmm.

--Anne-Marie, with pathologically strong bones to this day :)

On Tue Apr 18 12:14 , "Judith L. Smith Adams"  sent:

>marilyn traber 011221"
>writes:
>>As I mentioned, I acquired a few laying hens, and they're LAYING. Not only
>[...]
>>SO... I need egg recipes. Period, modern, it doesn't matter. ...
>  Phlip
>  *****************
>
>  There are the classics, of course: Deviled eggs and potato salad and egg salad sandwiches and
omelets...

>  My family's version of deviled eggs is simple:  egg yolks mashed with fork, to which is added not-
too-much mayonaise, salt, pepper.  I add fresh chives if I can get them.  The objective is a light,
fluffy rather than creamy, lightly flavored filling, mounded back into the whites using the fork or a
spoon, and NOT the mustard-vinegar-onion-mayo squishy-piped version (which is dear to the comfort-food
heart of many souls, so enjoy those fillings, too, and with my blessing if that's your preference!)
Haven't done it, but it should be great made with any of the savory, tender-leaf herbs: chervil,
cilantro, dill, Italian parsley, instead of the chives... with dill, I MIGHT use a touch, just a
touch!, of mustard... maybe the hot, Dijon-type with horseradish mustard that is my current
favorite...

>  Similarly, the family potato salad is light-textured and flavored, just potatoes, chopped hard-
boiled eggs, easy on the mayo, chopped sweet pickle (relish is the wrong texture), salt and pepper,
and if I'm making it, fresh chives.  No mustard, vinegar or dill pickles, but again, peace upon your
house if you hate sweet pickles and must have the mustard... and playing with the herbs and onion
(sweet onion, scallions, the greens of garlic chives...) could be fun.

>  Chile rellenos, en casserole or the real deal...
>
>  Brunch casserole of bread and custard and cheese, other ingredients can be anything: sauteed onion,
ham, crumbled cooked sausage, smoked salmon, asparagus, broccoli, spinach...

>  Clafouti of dried fruit (cherries or apricots or pears or apples or prunes or...) that's been
steeped in fruit juice or brandy or rum or triple sec or...

>  Omelets...  Oeufs en gelee... EGGS BENEDICT...
>
>  For the Benedict, the world's fastest and easiest version of hollandaise.  In saucepan, place
yolks, and for each yolk:  1 Tablespoon of cream, a scant teaspoon of lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Whisking constantly, heat over medium flame until eggs thicken, which will happen very quickly!
Immediately, remove from heat while continuing to whisk.  One tablespoon at a time, whisk in 1
Tablespoon softened butter for each egg yolk.  Haven't done this for more than 6 yolks at a time...
but works brilliantly for as few as one, and only one pan to wash.  One of the first things I learned
to cook, from the first cookbook I ever bought, a paperback of Robert Farrar Capon's The Supper of the
Lamb, which is, as he says, not so much a cookbook as a book, and a personal memoir, at that, about
cooking.