[Sca-cooks] Recipes

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 14:32:39 PDT 2006

Duriel,

These look like great recipes.  Thank you for posting them.  While this list is
primarily about medieval and renaissance cooking, we like to stray to the modern
and I am happy for that.  We don't always have to be didactic.

But I have to ask this question.  I am not trying to put you down.  I am trying
to understand you and how you think.  My question is this:  Why do you call these
modern recipes "period"?  Do you have actual period recipes that these are the
redactions of?  If you do, please post them. Or do you think that every recipe,
where the ingredients could have been used during period, are period recipes?
You don't have to call every recipe you post here period, especially when they aren't.
I have looked at them.  The ingredients, with the except of green beans and maybe arugula,
were eaten, but the methodologies of these recipes aren't entirely period.  These are
recipes that I can and probably will make for myself and my family, but I would never
make them for an SCA banquet.

Please don't feel you have to justify every recipe you post here as being "period".
Post them and call them modern and let us just enjoy them.

Huette