[Sca-cooks] Beef Bafflement article

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Apr 18 20:19:11 PDT 2006

> Surprisingly sensible.  Sad that it's come to this of course.  The fast-food
> ad that states "If it weren't for us, some guys would starve" is all too
> true.  I wonder if the rise of Food Network and other foodie TV programming
> will affect this in the long run, when today's little kids go out on their
> own tomorrow?

It's not just how people are raised, you know? We ate a lot of beef when
I was a kid, but we didn't talk about the cut-- mom just went down to
the freezer and got the appropriate piece of steer. Once I was teenager,
we were no longer on the farm and didn't eat much beef; we couldn't
afford it. I could have given you a whole rundown on processed turkey
products, though. That's probably typical of most kids of my
generation-- if they got beef beyond hamburgs, it was on dad's
visitation weekend and it was probably something he threw on the
barbeque. (When I was a teen, we couldn't even afford hamburger. I
developed an acquired nausea response to ground turkey dishes.)

To top it off, the low-fat health food industry pushed parents who
cooked to avoid giving their families red meat, or even the cheaper
pork.

The first time I cooked beef roast was for an SCA event. I called my
mom, who cooks by instinct, and asked her how to cook a beef roast. She
said, "Look in a cookbook." I looked in the trusted Fanny Farmer I'd
asked mom to get me when I left home-- but it wasn't the 1960s edition
I'd grown up with, and it gave NO, count them NO, instructions for
cooking beef roasts. Why? 'cos it was the 1980s edition and devoted
megapages to how to cook in the microwave.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman