[Sca-cooks] Re: Bundt Cake Contest

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 18 22:27:36 PDT 2006

Uhm, for a sweet (dessert) cake, I'd do something with huckleberries, and
I'd use locally-made flours, butter, etc.
If it fit into the contest regulations, a savory cake might be fun, too.  I
can see doing a filling involving chopped, sauteed mushrooms (morels, etc.),
or a nice pate (we have a lot of wildlife and a lot of hunting here),  maybe
something more like a terrine than a cake....Uhm, something involving
buffalo? or flavors from our Native traditions? or perhaps something
completely whacky, like recreating the Berkeley Pit, and making the filling
copper colored something.  (For those of you not in the local know, the BP,
in Butte, was at one time the world's largest open-pit copper mine, and may
still be, for all I know.  It's the source of some truly serious
pollutants....It's been filling with water for a while now, and kills
migratory birds that land on it....)
--Maire, expecting that *someone* on the west coast will bring up the idea
of a Mt St Helen's Volcano Bundt cake....;o)