Multi-Egg Recipes - was Re: [Sca-cooks] An embarrassment of riches...

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 05:40:58 PDT 2006

I just got this multi-egg recipe in this morning's "Splendid Table" e-mail:

  http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/

  April 19, 2006
  Dear Friends,
  Upscale, eat-it-over-the-sink-at-midnight egg salad is how I think of this supper. All those Easter eggs are just sitting there begging to be used. And this is not your mom's egg salad.
  Serve the salad on the greens as suggested below, or pile it on a thick slice of really grainy bread, and serve it up as an open-faced sandwich. A few grape tomatoes on the plate are a nice touch.

  Lynne's Post-Easter Egg Salad with Chutney and Almonds
  © 2006 Lynne Rossetto Kasper
  Serves 12 as a dip, sandwich filling, or topping for sliced cucumber

   1/6 of a medium red onion, minced
   1 small clove garlic, minced very fine
   1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
   2 tablespoons dark, spicy mustard
   1/2 cup finely chopped celery
   1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped Major Gray chutney
   1/2 cup mayonnaise
   14 hard-cooked eggs, shelled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
   1/2 cup whole salted almonds, coarsely chopped
  1. Start egg salad 12 to 24 hours before serving. In a medium bowl combine onion, garlic, and lemon juice. Let stand 15 minutes. Gently blend in mustard, celery, 1/3 cup chutney, and the mayonnaise.
  2. Gently fold in eggs then taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate until just before serving. Sample for balance, adding more lemon juice and/or chutney to taste. Fold in almonds and serve nested in branches of curly endive.
  LYNNE'S TIPS

   The seemingly simplest act can harbor pitfalls. Boiling an egg could give you a green ring, a shell that won't come off, and toughness.

   The way I boil eggs is not to boil them at all. The slower you cook them the more tender they are and the less chance you have of a green ring developing. Cover the eggs with water; bring the water to just below the bubble. Partially cover and cook 11 to 15 minutes. Logically, eggs that start out cold will need more time than room temperature ones. Immediately cool them down in cold running water.

   Peeling problems come from the high acid content in very fresh eggs. Check the expiration date on the egg carton and choose older ones.

Tom Vincent
Demon Prince (retired)

It's a good thing the phrase "the tipping point" became a cliche just in time to help us describe global warming. Just a few years ago, we were more or less cruising along on global warming, with maybe 50 years or so to Do Something about it. Suddenly, the only question is how soon to push the panic button, and 10 minutes ago appears to be the right answer.
- Molly Ivins
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=20595