[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 19 07:25:08 PDT 2006

I see a problem here:

Am Mittwoch, 19. April 2006 14:46 schrieb Tom Vincent:

>   Wouldn't it be better if the SCA had crowns that:
>   1) Gained the throne in period ways?

- inheritance takes a long time
- selection by the peers could get *quite* messy (though I'm sure some peers
wouldn't say no to the bribes)
- I don't think the Corpora allow us to conquer and occupy other kingdoms to
install our puppet rulers
- murder and mutilation are discouraged by mundane law enforcement

>   2) Reflected the *best* of period royalty?

Period selection mechanisms don't exactly discriminate in favour of the best.
Not that ours do, but they do a decent job of weeding out the worst. I'd much
rather have the occasional thick-as-a-plank jock than Richard the Lionhearted
(and Donkeybrained).

>   3) Were respected by the populace?

Meh, respect has to be *earned*. I can't respect anyone I don't know.

>   4) Had proved leadership and organization skills?

You mean royalty that not only *understand* how things work, but have the
inclination to *change* it and the ability to muster support for their pet
project? You haven't read Dilbert much, have you? ;-)

I'm fairly OK with the system as it stands. It's grossly unfair and faintly
ridiculous, but it's obviously unfair and prevents royals from thinking that
they actually have a mandate to rule. Imagine having elections on political
platforms and such. I know how badly these things can ruin friendships and
groups. And anyway, much like the traditional British regiment, an SCA
kingdom strikes me largely as a body that functions despite its officers.

Giano

PS: nothing wrong with teaching royal-out-of-line the error of his ways, of
course.