[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 10:25:33 PDT 2006

Crowns could be determined by warfare against competing armies collected by those vying for the throne.  To build an army, one needs to be reasonably charismatic, somewhat of a good leader & organizer and (hopefully) one who reflects the higher aspirations of royalty.  In other words, someone you'd be proud to have represent your kingdom to other kingdoms, let alone the outside world.

  It's discouraging to note that out of nineteen kingdoms, not one has been allowed to experiment with -different-, let alone *period*, methods of determining crowns.

  'Defending' the current system by describing it as unfair, rediculous & resulting in blockheads as crowns should tell you that a better way can be had, if only to avoid that sort of 'defense'. :)

  Duriel

Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
  I see a problem here:

Am Mittwoch, 19. April 2006 14:46 schrieb Tom Vincent:

> Wouldn't it be better if the SCA had crowns that:
> 1) Gained the throne in period ways?

- inheritance takes a long time
- selection by the peers could get *quite* messy (though I'm sure some peers
wouldn't say no to the bribes)
- I don't think the Corpora allow us to conquer and occupy other kingdoms to
install our puppet rulers
- murder and mutilation are discouraged by mundane law enforcement

> 2) Reflected the *best* of period royalty?

Period selection mechanisms don't exactly discriminate in favour of the best.
Not that ours do, but they do a decent job of weeding out the worst. I'd much
rather have the occasional thick-as-a-plank jock than Richard the Lionhearted
(and Donkeybrained).

> 3) Were respected by the populace?

Meh, respect has to be *earned*. I can't respect anyone I don't know.

> 4) Had proved leadership and organization skills?

You mean royalty that not only *understand* how things work, but have the
inclination to *change* it and the ability to muster support for their pet
project? You haven't read Dilbert much, have you? ;-)

I'm fairly OK with the system as it stands. It's grossly unfair and faintly
ridiculous, but it's obviously unfair and prevents royals from thinking that
they actually have a mandate to rule. Imagine having elections on political
platforms and such. I know how badly these things can ruin friendships and
groups. And anyway, much like the traditional British regiment, an SCA
kingdom strikes me largely as a body that functions despite its officers.

Giano

PS: nothing wrong with teaching royal-out-of-line the error of his ways, of
course.