[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 10:35:20 PDT 2006

Tom Vincent wrote:

>Crowns could be determined by warfare against competing armies collected by those vying for the throne.  To build an army, one needs to be reasonably charismatic, somewhat of a good leader & organizer and (hopefully) one who reflects the higher aspirations of royalty.  In other words, someone you'd be proud to have represent your kingdom to other kingdoms, let alone the outside world.

Or the guy who buys them the most beer.  Bribery happens.

>  It's discouraging to note that out of nineteen kingdoms, not one has been allowed to experiment with -different-, let alone *period*, methods of determining crowns.

Not so.  The Pricipality of the Mists did a six-fold list of arts for
Coronet one time.  The arts did include "Martial" and the winner did
happen to have won the fighting as well.  Sir Maythen of Elfhaven, and
SHE was a fine a sovereign as ever they had, too.  <smile>

>  'Defending' the current system by describing it as unfair, rediculous & resulting in blockheads as crowns should tell you that a better way can be had, if only to avoid that sort of 'defense'. :)
>

>  Duriel

If I recall correctly, there is nothing in the SCA by-laws that
disallows it.  If you want to try to talk your kingdom into trying
something else, best of luck to you.  But don't go expecting much.  In
any era, the ones in power tend to want to stay there.  Cronyism and Old
Boys Networks are period too, n'est-ce pas?

Sadly, Selene