[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 07:38:05 PDT 2006

In a message dated 4/19/2006 8:47:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tom.vincent at yahoo.com writes:

Wouldn't  it be better if the SCA had crowns that:
1) Gained the throne in  period ways?
Via inheritance or conquest? Sounds messy and time consuming for a  hobby.

2) Reflected the *best* of period royalty?
Examples please. They all had detractors too.

3) Were respected by the populace?
Again, not everybody agrees with anyone. Not everyone in period respected
every crown, and some didn't deserve it. The fact that they could kill people
made some difference in the response from said people. Read about how the
English Peasant's Revolt was settled as an example.

4) Had proved leadership and organization  skills?
Where I'm from that's what Pelicans are for <G>.

We get the crowns we get because we're all human. We often aspire to
greatness of soul, but as often our baser natures mess us up. I spent a  considerable
period as landed Baron down here, and frankly, ya do the best you  can with
what ya got.

The biggest scare for me, or I imagine any thinking person in our hobby,  are
the occasional people that show up that could probably either belong  to or
start a cult. They forget this is a hobby and frankly spoil a good  time for
the rest of us and usually go off in a huff, either to another group or  to some
cabin in the mountains I suppose.

Corwyn (with tongue slightly in cheek)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will  annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort.
--Herm  Albright