[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 10:36:42 PDT 2006

Those aren't the only ways to gain a throne, but conquest from *within* the kingdom is quite workable.  Inheritance & marriage doesn't work, but a model for usurping the throne could be developed (though is should be reasonably rare and have a cost to the potential usurper).

  'Best' of period royalty:  Go to any Renn Faire.  The crowns are charming, elegant, graceful, entertaining, praiseworthy, carry themselves regally, don't break character, dress the part, are shown deference & respect.  What's wrong with that?

  Look, the SCA has already removed (for good or bad) the unquestionably single most potent force in the Medieval world, the church, from its structure, so what's wrong with excising wretched & corrupt crowns, too?

  Well, some people have written extensively about the comparison between the SCA and a cult structure, but, frankly, I think you could say that about many social organizations of significant age.

  Why not improve the structure, expand the pool of candidates and raise the standards?  Wouldn't that be a step forward?

  Duriel

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
  In a message dated 4/19/2006 8:47:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,