Verjuice - was Re: [Sca-cooks] Rumpolt Hungarian Chicken

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 11:33:32 PDT 2006

I know this comes up every once in a while, but my favorite commercially available Verjuice is Navarro's Chardonnay Verjus (2005).

  http://www.navarrowine.com/shop/productdetail.php?prodid=489#

  There's a nice recipe link there, too.

  Duriel
  (oh, how I miss small California wineries!)

"Cat ." <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Greetings Kiri-Hime

I should chat with you on the side too, once things
slow down a bit more (ok, wishful thinking.)

You asked: "I was looking at the redaction that
Tirloch did of the Hungarian Chicken recipe...I think
it's the one from
Rumpolt. I could look it up, but am feeling lazy this
morning.
His/your redaction calls for a combination of cider
vinegar and
Riesling
wine. Is there a chance this was originally verjus?
It sounds like a
combo that would be used to sub for verjus if it
weren't available."

I pulled up the original and no, it very clearly
specifies Wine and vinegar:
"geusz lauter Wein vnnd ein wenig Essig darein"

pour clear wine and a little vinegar therin...

which is not to say he didnt steal it from a recipe
that used Verjuice, but in Rumpolt it states wine and
vinegar.

In Service
Gwen Cat
who is WAY behind on digests, but happend to catch
this one first thing this morning

Tom Vincent
Demon Prince (retired)