[Sca-cooks] Rumpolt Hungarian Chicken

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 13:15:07 PDT 2006

Greetings,

To make things more fun and interesting, here is my interpretation of
the same dish:

4 C Peeled and Chopped Apples
4 C Peeled and Chopped Onions
2 1/2 Lemons
2 C Chicken Broth
4 lbs Chicken Legs, Thighs and Breasts
3/4 C White Wine (Reisling)
1 T White Wine Vinegar
1/4 t Pepper
2 t Salt
20 threads Saffron
1 T Sugar

Peel and chop apples and onions. Put into pot. Peel 1 and ½ lemons and
remove pith from membranes, removing seeds at the same time over the
pot so as not to lose any juice. Cover and simmer until they become
soft. Place chicken in water and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 - 20
minutes or until lightly poached. Crush Saffron and steep in wine. Add
wine, vinegar and spices to the apple mixture. Then add partially
cooked chicken. Simmer covered for 20 minutes then remove cover to
reduce. If the chicken is getting too done remove from the sauce and
hold while reducing sauce further. Slice one whole lemon with the rind
on very thinly. Stir into chicken and sauce just before serving.

I look forward to seeing yours!!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva