[Sca-cooks] Introduction and a Request

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 19 22:49:07 PDT 2006

Irene leNoir asked:

  =====
* As I'm not really experienced with working with period recipes or
cookbooks (or whatever they called them), if you make mention of a
particular manuscript, I'd much appreciate it if you could point me to
where I might find it online (if available).  Otherwise I'm not sure
when or how I'll have a chance to try to hunt it down.
=====

If you have the name of a dish, you might go to the search engine on
the Florilegium and type it in there. While I don't have much
specifically in files on French or Provencale cooking (I wasn't even
sure where Provencale er, Provence was until someone later clarified
this), I might well have the recipe and a redaction of two for it in
other files.

There is this file in the FOOD-BY-CULTURES section though:
fd-France-msg     (12K)  7/ 2/05    Food of medieval France. References.

======
* A couple of people have mentioned fish dishes.  I appreciate you
thinking of them, but I think I'm going to have to pass on all fish.
(First, much as I love seafood, I'm just not sure how well it will fly
with my household of mostly fighter types.  Second, being from
practically the coast of Massachusetts, I'm not too keen on the idea of
what the quality of fish in oh-so-very landlocked Pennsylvania will be
like.)
======

Pennsylvania is not that far from the coast. It's a lot closer than
Montana. :-)
Fish, or the non-eating of fish, seems to have a bigger rep than
deserved in the SCA.
In the FEAST section:
feasts-fish-msg   (24K)  2/19/04    Serving fish at SCA feasts.
fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
                                        "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.

=====
* I have plans for a soteltie dessert that will require a cake of some
sort.  If necessary, I can go with a recipe that isn't really
Provencale.  But if anyone has any cake recipe ideas I'd love to hear
them.  (Otherwise I'll probably just do some sort of orange flavored
cake, maybe with bits of candied orange peel in the batter.)
=====

In the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section:
feasts-fish-msg   (24K)  2/19/04    Serving fish at SCA feasts.

But more period sotelties are also possible:
Sgr-a-Cnftns-art  (20K) 12/26/00    "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
                                        Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise
Fleming).
sotelties-msg    (201K)  3/29/05    Sotelties and Warners - decorated
food.

Lots of other dessert ideas in this section, as well as ones that
could be decorated and presented nicely.

====
* In addition to the soteltie, I'd like to offer some sort of fruit
plate or fruit salad.  Any ideas?
  ====

I'm not sure. Lots of info on period fruit in the FOOD-FRUITS
section, but I don't remember much specifically on fruit salads.
However, it is also possible that I might have placed such items in
this file in the FOOD section:
salads-msg       (151K)  9/12/04    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne
de Huguenin

There has been some argument that medieval folks didn't eat raw
fruit. Not quite true and I think there are some examples that might
work for you in this file:
raw-fruit-vg-msg  (14K) 12/21/04    Evidence that raw fruits and
vegetables were
                                        eaten in period.

Stefan
--------