[Sca-cooks] Lutefisk, Herring and Caviar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 22:13:07 PDT 2006

Renata asked:
  ======
Not from our table, it didn't! But we never got our share of the
eggplant
caviar, a mistake that our waitperson (my nephew) has not been
allowed to forget.;)
======

Eggplant caviar? Please post the recipe. Is this actually fish eggs
or is it made from eggplant? although I doubt I'd like the latter but
would like the first, I'd like to see this recipe.

====
Speaking of caviar, does anyone have documentation for the eating of
it raw?
Platina has a recipe for it (shudder!) cooked.
====

By raw, do you mean unprocessed? Or just uncooked? Platina's recipe
is apparently for salted fish eggs. From this file in the COMMERCE
section of the Florilegium:
salt-comm-art     (18K)  1/ 9/97    "Salt of the Earth" by Lord Xaviar.

----
Renaissance diners were so fond of gorging on salt fish and salted
fish eggs that physicians condemned this passion (Platina p 265).
This had little effect on the diets of the wealthy.
----

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas