[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 04:05:41 PDT 2006

Look, you asked for an example of what a good crown acts like and I
provided you with one:  Actors hired to please the audience.  Now you
complain that some of those actors are rude to people.  Did I say that
being rude to people was a part of how a good crown should act?  No.
Did I in any way suggest that that irrelevant behavior by an actor
outside the scope of the situation was relevant or material or
pertinent?  No, no, no.  You're making up irrelevant counter-examples
that neither move the discussion forward nor provide improvements on the
base point.

To some extent, the SCA *is* scripted, more of an impromptu theater than
a fully scripted production, but the stage direction is this:  You're
the king.  The populace has gathered around your throne to hear your
pronouncements, the results of the day's tourneys and to have you
dispense a few awards.  Now...Action!

Now, the examples of what SCA crowns can do that you've mentioned merely
fortify the position that better selection methodologies should be in
place in order to better ensure that they don't abuse their position,
banish people unfairly, elevate the unworthy and generally be a bad
example for the populace and to outsiders.

Simply saying that the current system is crappy and can't be improved is
an unimaginative combination of ignorance & capitulation that I'm just
not willing to succumb to.  I reject the notion that 497 members and 3
schizophrenics can't come up with a small number of possible
alternatives that address their concerns, improve the situation,
increase the candidate pool, and result in crowns that more accurately
portray the positive, sanitized crowns of Disney-fied Medieval days that
SCA members want.

Duriel