[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 20 05:14:32 PDT 2006

> Which leaves me with the heretical question whether we really need crowns...
>
> Giano

Actually, I think we do, despite the fact that my usual attitude is, "They're
only there for 6 months, I can find plenty of things to do elsewhere if I
don't like them."

They serve a useful purpose. They give the stick-jocks goals, and for the
most part, keep them out of everyonr else's hair. Considering that we're
attempting to recreate the Middle Ages, they perform a focus for ceremonies
and the like, which keeps a whole other class of annoying people out of out
hair, for the mosrt part- the suck-ups and anal retentive ceremonial geeks.
They also form a focus for the the ceremonies we actually need to have- a
more or less anaonymous "Atta-boy, atta-girl, congratulations, you just won
your latest cookie" arriving in the mail would be rather disappointing, to
many folks.

The problems come when they step beyond their ceremonial role, and actually
attempt to rule. THAT's when they become truly annoying.

Phlip, who has better things to do than courts.