[Sca-cooks] Research question

Robert Downie rdownie at mts.net
Thu Apr 20 08:59:57 PDT 2006

The Batty Bard wrote:

>      http://mysticsablewolf.bravehost.com
>
>      Greetings .
>      I was wondering if perhaps anyone knew if there was any documentation on the wedding feast of Charles the Bold and Margaret of York.  I keep finding all these vague references to this lavish banquet, but nothing specific.  Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>      In Service,
>      -Gracia Esperanca de Sevilla

There are some references in Roy Strong's _Feast a History of Grand Eating_:

... the creation of elaborate temporary decor for great banquets.  This
could take theform of either a mise-en-scene superimposed on to an
existing hall, or the creation of a special room for the occasion.  When
Phillip the good married Isabella of Portugal in 1430, the courtyard was
transformed into a banqueting hall complete with a minstrels' gallery
for sixty, a stag and a unicorn pouting rosewater and hippocras, and
golden trees supporting  the arms of the lands over which the Duke ruled.

Almost four decades later, in 1468, this arrangement was repeated when
Charles the Bold married Margaret of York, but with the addition of a
gallery from which the ladies could observe the feast.  The ceiling was
of blue silk, the walls appropriately hung with the story of Gideon and
the fleece, and both behind and above the high table there was a rich
length of grey cloth of gold embroidere with theducal arms.

... THe drive towardsmaking the state banquet into a political tableau
may have reached its apogee in the festivals that marked the marriage of
Charled the Bold to the Yorkist princess, Margaret of York, in 1468.
Two feasts on that occasion attempted dynastic apotheosis by means of
metamorphosed food.  On the first occasion guests entered to find
fifteen guilded andsix silver swans, each wearing a collar of the Order
of the Golden Fleece and the arms of an ndividual knights.  The table
was further populated with an array of elephants bearing castles, camels
with panniers, stags and unicorns all in gold, silver and azure, filled
with sweetmeats. Each figure carried a banner with the arms of a
province of the duke.  A few days later there was a rerun in a final
banquet.  This time the tables were laden with 30 plates, each bearing
minitaure gardens bounded by golden hedges.  n the middle of the hall
rose a golden tree with meats piled up around it; the tree itself was
decked with fruits and flowers and the arms of thirty abbeys in the
ducal domains.  Close to where the duke was seated stood a model palace
enlivened with mechanical figures and a fountain that spurted rosewater
as if it were watering the miniature garden. ... It is difficult to
establish whether these subtletieswere edible, but they were certainly
made to place on the dining table.

----

I've seen morecomplete descriptions of other banquets, but not for this
one yet (but I'm still researching, so maybe I'l find more eventually).
If you're interested in learning more about subtleties in general, this
group may be helpful: