[Sca-cooks] Research question

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:38:04 PDT 2006

Playing librarian--
Strong's sources for the passages that Baroness Faerisa quoted from are
taken from
the Memoirs of Olivier de la Marche who was a courtier in Burgundy.
Titled Mémoires d’Olivier de La Marche, maître d’hôtel et capitaine des
gardes de Charles le Téméraire when they were
published in the 1880's, they were first printed in 1562. The New Catholic
Encyclopedia (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11246a.htm) writes that
"The author is sincere, but his style contains many Wallonne expressions
and, as in his other writings,
he introduces too many descriptions of fêtes and tournaments. Most of
his works are in verse."

Just what we want-- actual descriptions of fetes and tournaments.
His heading is La Marche, Olivier de, ca. 1426-1502 in case you want to
search for him in catalogs.

  Have you looked at

Margaret of York, Duchess of Burgundy, 1446-1503 / Christine Weightman.
Published/Created: 	New York : St. Martin’s Press, 1989.

There's this--  Wikipedia writes
Her marriage to Charles the Bold at Bruges, on July 9th, 1468, ...The
wedding was extravagant even by the standards of the Burgundian court,
the most opulent and cultured court of the day. The celebrations
included the "Tournament of the Golden Tree" that was arranged around an
elaborately detailed allegory, designed to honor the bride. During the
wedding, Margaret wore a magnificent crown ...it can still be seen in
the treasury at Aachen
Cathedral. The parades, the streets lined with tapestry hung from
houses, the feasting, the masques and allegorical entertainments, the
jewels, impressed all observers as the marriage of the century. It is
annually reenacted at Bruges for tourists.

have you tried searching on that title-- Tournament of the Golden Tree

Museum event--
http://www.mechelen2005.be/ennew/detail.asp?id=53

There is a book--
http://www.artbooks.com/titles/046/Item46354.htm
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/60431

You might try and interlibrary loan a copy and see what it has.

I will check a couple of other books and see what else I have.

Johnnae