[Sca-cooks] Food-related Meta-Issue

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 13:19:17 PDT 2006

Huette wrote:
>--- Tom Vincent <tom.vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >   'Best' of period royalty:  Go to any Renn Faire.  The crowns
>are charming, elegant, graceful,
>  > entertaining, praiseworthy, carry themselves regally, don't break
>character, dress the part, are
>  > shown deference & respect.  What's wrong with that?
>  >
>  >   Duriel
>
>Because at the Ren Faires, the crowns and their courts are actors
>following scripts.
>Sometimes the scripts are very complex, but they are scripts nonetheless.
SNIP

At the Ren Faires i've worked as an actor, there are a *small* number
of scenarios that are scripted - such as when the Queen appears in a
stage show. The rest is all improvised.

The Guild of St. George (the Nobles Guild) (original Ren Fair) had
many "ordinary" people playing genuine historical people. Each of
them studied their characters' lives and often read some of what
they'd read, so there would be unscripted discussions about late 16th
c. politics, economics, philosophy, etc. among characters and with
QEI when she dined with us. While sometimes there was a
pre-determined goal to the conversation, there was no script.

Smaller fairs i worked there was rarely a script and often things
would go awry because the actors were not professionals.

I did have great fun at one fair where i portraying a Catholic (when
no male actor would volunteer to do the deed, which would have been
more historically correct) ran up on stage where i denounced QEI as a
blaspheming whore and some other very choice language, praised the
Pope, spit (fake) at QEI, and tried to assassinate her. It was
entirely improvised and i got very intense and rude. I was dragged
off screaming and struggling by her guards. It was great fun, then i
removed my large cross, and returned to my regular guild. The death
of the potential assassin was announced later in the day. The Queen
and her advisors only knew in advance that someone would try to
assassinate her and be forcibly removed.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita