[Sca-cooks] non-political sallets

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 13:47:42 PDT 2006

May I suggest white balsamic vinegar?  I recently started exploring this variation and find that it add the good flavor of balsamic without the obvious dark color...sort of like using white pepper in a white sauce.

  Duriel

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
  Not to interupt the political discussion, but I'm teaching my Sallets &
Green Pottages class again this Saturday. I'm pretty sure I'm missing
some useful Salad recipes from my handout (I think I've asked for
feedback on the handout before, but it's always welcome). Yes, Stefan, I
*have* looked in the Florilegium file *grin*

Anyway period recipes for salads & cooked greens would be welcome.

BTW, here's the handout:
http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/greens.html

I'd especially like to hear responses to this:

A simple way to do this is to pick over, wash and dry well, and combine

* 1 part herb leaves minced
* 1 part parsley
* 3 parts spring mix or mesclun
* 2 parts spinach and/or lettuce
* Optional: 1 part minced scallions, leeks, onions, and/or chives

Dress with vinegar (red or white wine vinegar, balsamic, cider, etc. but
NOT distilled), olive or nut oils, and a sprinkle of salt. You can add
garnishes of herb leaves, flowers, parsley, pomegranate seeds, and/or
lemons. A dash of sugar in your dressing is permissible.

Also this definition of Green pottages:
Basically, this class uses the term to describe cooked greens, and
especially cooked greens with a liquid.
Cooked greens thickened with a little milk, almond milk, eggs, cheese,
and/or broth is a standard of medieval cooking.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
-- Harry S. Truman

Tom Vincent
Demon Prince (retired)