[Sca-cooks] Verjus

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 13:52:45 PDT 2006

Duriel wrote:
>Why would you say it's a Gew¸rztraminer when they
>clearly say it's a Chardonnay?

And Eibhlin responded:
>Because the one they currently have for sale on both
>their website and in their paper mailer advertise it
>as Gewurztraminer - and every bottle I have ever
>purchased has been such.  Follow this url:
>http://www.navarrowine.com/shop/
>
>You will see about halfway down under the
>Non-alcoholic section that they are offering both the
>Gewurztraminer and the Pinot Noir.

The bottle i bought at Beltane last year is a
Chardonnay (haven't opened it yet). Maybe i can
get a bottle of the Gewurztraminer this year (if
they're not all sold out by the time i get there)
and do a taste test.

As for the Middle Eastern someone else mentioned.
The label says "sour grape juice" and i hesitate
to say that it is anything other than a verjus
substitute. I've tried two brands, and, wow! is
that stuff harsh and sour. I use it in feasts
because it's cheap, but it tastes quite different
from every bottle of verjus i've bought. I did
have a half-used bottle in the back of my fridge
for a year, and it didn't spoil at all, and it
mellowed considerably into something i'd call
verjus.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita