[Sca-cooks] Wines at a Feast

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 21 13:44:37 PDT 2006

Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>> Manufacturing, distributing, selling, serving, or furnishing of
>> alcoholic beverages by the SCA or its branches or subdivisions is
>> prohibited within the United States and its territories.
>>
>> Officers are not prohibited from giving gifts of alcohol; however, it
>> must be done as individuals, and not as part of their official duties
>> as officers. Giving or receiving gifts of alcohol in court is not
>> considered to be part of an officer's official duties.
>
> Other places, such as Canada, have different laws regarding alcohol,
> and one should consult the laws of those kingdoms before planning wine
> at a feast.
>
> In general, I suspect it is not so hot of idea, as it has the
> potential to open us up to liability issues, and we really don't want
> to go there.

There are no real liability issues here (New Zealand) that I am aware
of, and I get the impression that attitudes to alcohol are far more
relaxed, but, all the same I've never done it.

I'm not sure whether wine-and-food matching is a period practice, other
than in the sense that particular categories of wine should be served at
different points in the meal.  A number of dishes tended to be served at
once, so I don't think careful wine-and-food matching was possible.

Having said that, I've been toying with the idea of a fine food feast
where I charge lots and serve foods that are beyond the normal feast
budget, and wine would definitely be on the menu.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?