[Sca-cooks] Roman food for kids addendum

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 21:29:54 PDT 2006

I should have mentioned the service style as well.  We collapsed the
legs on three tables (for 16 or so diners) and put tablecloths on them.
We asked all of the children to bring a big pillow to lounge on.  On the
table were games, dice, table settings.  They sat on the floor and
overflow cloths, and leaned on the pillows (we ended up with lots).  The
parents helped me serve, the kids thought that being served at table (on
the floor) by their parents was the coolest thing ever!
One of my kid's father is a medieval professor, and he brought Cato "On
Agriculture" and read a passage in Latin and then in English during the
meal!
I thought it was cool.
I announced each course and talked about the foods.  They were all
expected to try each dish, although not to finish it.  They just had to
taste.  I served the first course and came out and all anyone had
touched was the white bread. I said "You did not come here today to eat
lunch, you came to learn about new things you have never tried before.
I'd be willing to guess that everyone here knew what white bread tasted
like before today, right?" (lots of nodding heads).  :)  Overall, both
groups have loved it.  The older group I did it for was teens - 13 - 16,
the second group was younger - 5-9.  And all the parents and siblings
that could get there.

Christianna