[Sca-cooks] Double Posts

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 07:36:58 PDT 2006

I wasn't trying to pick on you particularly, it was just that I've
gotten so many of these double-posts and wasn't seeing (or paying
attention to) any sort of pattern regarding source.

The way I see it, an e-list mimics the conversation a group of people
would have in person, so if the post was directed to one person and one
person only, the conversation would be outside of the group and so the
e-mail reply would go to that person *only* and not the group (mimicking
a private conversation where two people headed outside or into a
separate room, for example) whereas a comment to the group (a post to
the list) is fair game for everyone to 'hear' and comment on.
Politeness or courtesy doesn't come into play.

So, a double-post (private and group) is really like taking a person at
a party aside to tell them something and then head back to the group and
say exactly the same thing to the person in front of the group!  See
what I mean?

The technical/housekeeping problem with it is that I *always* have to
fix the 'to:' list to remove one or more unnecessary recipients.

Duriel