[Sca-cooks] Re: *&^%$ Feastocrat!, was: Wines at a Feast

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Apr 22 16:00:43 PDT 2006

In Casteau (published 1604, based on his professional career in the
second half of the 16th century) the French word "banquet" appears
and clearly refers to the entire meal.  Rey et al. say that the word
was probably borrowed near the end of the 14th century from the
Italian "banchetto" meaning feast.

In English, the earliest citation in the OED with the entire fancy
meal meaning is 1483.  The earliest dessert-only citation is 1523.

Thorvald