[Sca-cooks] Tudor Cooks Coming to US?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 22 19:10:33 PDT 2006

On 4/22/06 5:51 AM, "Elise Fleming" <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Greetings!  Johnna Holloway, Guillane de Vaux, Devra the Baker and I
> visited Hampton Court at various times earlier this month and watched the
> cooking group, Historia, prepare Tudor foods.  The "project coordinator",
> Marc Meltonville, responded to an e-mail with the following:
>
>> I do hope that we are able to bring our 'making a Tudor kitchen' lectures
>> over to the East coast this summer. (snip)
>> We should be speaking in D.C., and then on up towards Boston.
>> If you know of any universities or establishments that would enjoy a talk
>> from the team, do let me know.
>
> So, I thought it might be good to send this out to you all in case any of
> you on the eastern seacoast might have some connections with universities,
> etc., who might want to have them come talk.  I do not know what fee they
> would charge.  If you have a possible venue, drop me a line off list and I
> will send Marc's e-mail address so you can pose the appropriate questions.
> They do cookery through at least the Georgian era so that may make for a
> wider audience (Tudor, Stuart, Georgian) although they may prefer to stay
> just with Tudor this time.
>
> I took lots of notes during my two-day visit to the kitchens.  I hope to
> put them into some kind of sensible order and make them available to the
> lists.  Got photos, too, which will eventually go online on a friend's
> account.
>
> Alys Katharine
>
> Elise Fleming
> alysk at ix.netcom.com
> http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/

Marc and one of his cohorts visited Los Angeles last year.  Ms. Renata and
I, as well as other SCA and Renaissance Faire folk, attended their slide
show lecture and saw the authentic and reproduction goodies they brought.
Of particular interest was costuming for kitchen staff, which they had
researched carefully and tested in realistic work conditions.  I have
nothing but good to say about these folks and recommend that anyone on this
list who has an opportunity to learn with them, to do so!

Yours in culinary service,
Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net