[Sca-cooks] Ginger Woes, was Jadwiga's Ginger Syrup recipe

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sat Apr 22 20:50:23 PDT 2006

> Uh-oh.  I've goofed.  Hugely.  Having been more than a little
> intrigued by the discussions of Jadwiga's Cureall <g>, I decided I
> had to partake of some myself, but being without the recipe when I
> was at the grocery store, I purchased, well, *koff* a LOT of ginger,
> and not some simple 4-5 inch piece, as I saw in her original post,
> post-purchase.  I also have whole lemons rather than lemon juice.
Urkkk.....
> Anybody got any ideas on what I can do with the better part of a
> pound of fresh ginger, and some fresh lemons? My first thought was
> gingerale, but I don't have the brewing equipment, or the time to
> deal with it right now
> (going out of town next weekend), or, come to think of it, the room
> for the brewing equipment.  What's my best bet? Some sort of candied
> ginger? About the only thing I've come up with for the lemons is my
> spring favorite, completely unperiod, Ohio Lemon Pie, but it's just
> me, and I don't want to be eating pie for a week.  *sigh* --Maire,
> in a quandry ;o)

Make a whole WHOPPING lot of ginger syrup?

Ginger keeps pretty well in the fridge- we have a piece over a month old, and
it's still in pretty good shape, so you can, if you like, delay any decisions
until you get back, assuming you aren't planning on being gone for a month.

As far as the lemons, how many did you get? Lemonade is always good. Or, you
can salt them and use them for ME dishes.

Phlip