[Sca-cooks] bacon in corn bread

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Apr 24 12:56:35 PDT 2006

> I don't know about recipe books, but that is how my grandmother
> made it. We aren't African American...my heritage is pure West
> Virginia hillbilly (Clay County to be exact). I remember her
> keeping a coffee can next to the stove to collect the bacon grease
> for use in other recipes.
>
> Ysabeau
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Ansteorra

Yeah, use of bacon grease in everything isn't a racial thing. it's a poor
Southerner thing. I remember my mother came back from visiting a boyfriend's
folks in Kentucky, and she couldn't get over a couple things, one being that
they cooked all vegetation to death, the other that they put bacon or bacon
grease into everything.

My mother still talks about the evening, some time later, when he was over
for dinner, and he was complaining about the ice cream flavor. I looked at
him and ask, "What's the matter- want some bacon grease on it?" and he
stomped off in a snit. She was laughing too hard, to kill me...

Phlip